Waxing at home is not that complicated and once you get used to it.
It can turn out to be a really good hair removal method.
If it weren’t for epilators, I would definitely have chosen waxing.
Even if it’s simple to wax at home, I think every woman needs to be reminded of some simple tips for silky smooth at-home waxing sessions.
Just so you know,
These tips are especially helpful if you want your at-home waxing experiences to be completely satisfying.
7 Effective Waxing Tips You need to Know
There’s not a lot to remember.
The number 7 might be quite frightening when it comes to waxing tips.
You’re going to see that I’m just being thorough, there’s not a lot to remember.
Here’s a short summary:
- getting a good waxing kit is the first and most important step
- exfoliation is a must, you shouldn’t skip it
- use baby powder to absorb the moisture before applying the wax – you need the wax to stick to the hairs and remove most of them from the first pull
- the hairs should have the proper length
- avoid burning your skin by first testing the temperature of the wax
- pull the strip quickly in a swift move without any hesitations in the opposite direction of hair growth
- always moisturize after, for the face you can even use an aloe vera gel if you have sensitive skin
1. Buy a Good At-Home Waxing Kit
The first of the 7 waxing tips is to buy a great wax for hair removal.
Why is this the most important step?
Because a good wax removes all the hairs from the root from a single pass, without little or no hairs left after you quickly pull that strip.
If half of the hairs remain on your body once you pull that strip of wax then you may need to simply throw it in the garbage and buy yourself a proper waxing kit for home usage.
I’ve written two excellent posts with wonderful suggestions. One is about the top 3 at home waxing kits, while the other focuses on the best wax for hair removal.
Before checking out those post, here are a few short words about my favorite kits, all are hard wax because in the end that’s the best:
1. GiGi Student Starter Hair Removal Waxing Kit
The Gigi Student kit is top notch.
It works great for everyone so it should be one of the first to check out.
It’s a complete kit that comes with:
- wax warmer that works great because it keeps the wax warm and melted for as much as you need it
- All Purpose Honee 14 oz that can be also replaced with the GiGi Brazilian Body Hard Wax 14 oz (this one works without strips, you just need the applicators, so it’s a much better choice, from my point of view)
- pre hon 4 oz
- pre epilation Powder 2.5 oz, which can be simply replaced by baby powder
- wax off 4 oz but baby oil works much better at removing the residues
- slow grow 4 oz
- 10 petite applicators and 10 small accu edge applicators
- 20 small natural muslin strips and 20 large natural muslin strips
You can use it on the entire body plus face. It works for coarse and fine hairs.
And the price is not bad!
2. BodyHonee Extra Strength Hair Removal Waxing Kit Men + Women
The BodyHonee Extra Strength Wax is really great, especially for coarse hairs.
It also has a great price!
The kits has:
- Extra Strength Spa Wax Jar 10 oz, which can be heated either in the microwave or on a stove in a water filled pan
- 10 waxing strips, which are not enough so I advise you to get more from the beginning
- 2 wooden spatulas
- and finishing oil for soothing the skin, which can be used instead of a moisturizer or body lotion
You still need to remove the residues first with baby oil.
It’s microwavable so you don’t need a warmer. You need to heat it for about 1 minute.
The only inconvenience is that the wax hardens and needs to be reheated constantly. It’s quite bothersome for some but this is still an overall good kit for at-home usage.
It works for both the body and the face.
3. Bliss Poetic
Last but not least, this one is probably one of the most expensive waxing kits.
It looks special, as well.
And the wax is top quality.
The Bliss Poetic waxing kit comes with:
- 1 wax-filled cup 5.3 oz, which is quite tiny compared to above two kits so you might need a refill before you know it
- 1 cleanser oil for preparing your skin but it’s not that important at all, no need to get it a second time
- 1 pre- and 1 post-waxing oil for removing any residues, which can be replaced by baby oil once it’s finished
- 3 large and 3 small spatulas,
- and 1 ingrown eliminating pad because this hair removal method, just like shaving and epilation, may causes ingrown hairs but I advise you to stick to body scrubs or exfoliating gloves for preventing ingrown hairs, it’s much cheaper that way
It’s another microwavable kit, just like the above one.
It can take anywhere from 4 to 7 minutes for the hard wax to melt and then needs to be reheated, which is a disadvantage for some users.
It works for bodily hair removal as well as facial hair removal.
Now that we’ve covered this, let’s move on to the second of our seven waxing tips.
2. Exfoliate Before Each Home Waxing Session
One of the most important things to remember is to always exfoliate before waxing.
You can find out much more about exfoliation in my post on ingrown hair removal.
Exfoliation helps prevent ingrown hairs by removing the layer of dead cells or dead skin, as it’s also called.
Legs are the no. 1 target for ingrown hairs so a body scrub or an exfoliating glove should be your best friends.
But don’t only exoliate before a session and then let the exfoliating glove/body scrub slip your mind.
Exfoliate at least 2-3 times a week.
I’m doing it almost daily.
If you have serious ingrown hairs, deep ones, that have been around for a long time then you should get a chemical exfoliator, like the Pfb Vanish or the Tend skin solution.
Those two are the best.
3. Use Baby Powder Before Waxing
Once you’re done exfoliating, use baby powder on the skin area that’s about to be waxed.
Baby powder absorbs any existent moisture, which will enable the waxing to properly adhere to your skin.
4. Waxing at Home? Make Sure that the Hair Has the Proper Length
What does it mean?
For the wax to grab the hairs and remove the majority of them from the first pass, they must be neither too short nor too long.
Between 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch long
You can use a trimmer like Panasonic ES246AC if the hairs are too long.
I would approximate that you would end up waxing once every 3 weeks.
When I was waxing, that was the time frame for me. But it depends.
If you’re new to waxing you will figure out how much time you have to wait before your hairs have the proper waxing length.z
5. Test the Temperature of the Wax
You definitely should test it if we’re talking about hard wax.
If it’s too hot it’s definitely not good.
You need the right temperature, supportable warm is how I would describe it.
If you’re using cold wax strips then it goes without saying that there are no risks.
The majority of women prefer hard wax and that’s why I insist that testing the temperature of the wax is one of the most important tips for successful at-home waxing.
6. Remove the Hair in the Right Direction while Keeping the Skin Taut
This one is another one of those essential waxing tips.
The right direction would be to pull the wax strip against the direction of the hair growth.
Apply the wax in the direction of the hair growth and pull in the opposite direction in a quick move, while keeping the skin taut, stretched.
Pull without any hesitations.
Otherwise not all the hairs will be pulled from the root.
You want the hairs glued to the wax strip for silky smooth skin.
You’ve probably heard that it’s not advisable to wax the same skin region twice.
I don’t know why that is.
When I uses to use cold facial wax strips,
I would always apply two strips on each of my upper lip portions and nothing has ever happened to my upper lip. And facial skin is pretty sensitive.
Try it once and see how it goes.
I’m lazy and I don’t like using the tweezers if 2 or 3 hairs remain so I apply another facial wax strip instead.
Another thing that I should mention:
If it’s your first at-home waxing experience then you should have someone help you.
If you’ve waxed before and the pain is not a problem for you anymore you should be able to pull the strip quickly without hesitations.
But if you plan on waxing your bikini area then you might need help reaching every place that you plan on having hair-free. So in those cases, a girlfriend would be of much help. Unless you are insanely flexible.
For removing any wax residues,
Baby oil is perfect for removing wax residues and it’s also a very good moisturizer.
If you plan on using baby oil to remove the wax residues, you can skip the 7th tip entirely.
You are moisturizing and cleaning your skin with the same product.
So we’ve reached the last tip for an amazing at home waxing experience.
Using a moisturizer is a tip valid for shaving, epilation, and of course waxing.
It’s important to sooth the irritated skin. The redness will go away much faster, as well.
Basically, you can use any moisturizer that you prefer, at the moment I am using argan oil, which is also non comedogenic.
After waxing your facial hair, you can use an aloe vera gel because the skin is much more sensitive.
These are my seven tips for waxing at home.
See, I told you there’s nothing complicated, at least in theory.
You’re most likely not going to nail your home waxing experience from the first try but hang in there.