I’ve researched and found some of the best at home waxing kits so that you don’t have to.
All the info that you need is compiled here in this post.
Using at home waxing kits is not simple. You should be prepared for that.
I’ve always had a bit of trouble with it and that’s why I ended up choosing shaving for many years until I discovered epilators.
While I definitely think that epilation is the best method for me, it seems that not many men are inclined to try waxing, either.
According to a survey from the Dollar Shave Club, it seems that only 13% of participants have tried waxing (mainly for their chests and backs), while 83% of the men have trimmed some or all of their body hair.
I definitely can’t imagine many men considering waxing at home, it requires patience, time, and skill.
Top 5 Best At Home Waxing Kits for Body and Face for 2020
|Waxing Kit||Wax type||Works best on|
|Gigi Brazilian Waxing Kit||Hard wax with warmer||Full Body +Face|
|VidaSleek Extra Strength Kit||Microwavable hard wax||Full Body +Face|
|Tress Wellness Waxing Kit||Hard wax with warmer||Full Body +Face|
|Nair Brazilian Spa Clay Roll-On||Microwavable wax||Body and Legs|
|Veet Ready-to-use Wax Strips||Cold wax strips||Legs, Arms, Underarms|
The first 3 choices for the best at home waxing kits are hard wax.
They’re good for both body and facial hair removal.
Two of these best wax for hair removal kits come with their own wax warmer and the other one is microwavable.
It’s easier with a warmer because it keeps the wax constantly melted throughout the session, no matter how long it takes.
With the microwavable kind you might need to interrupt your session but it only takes a few seconds to bring it to the right temperature again.
I find it easier when a warmer does all the melting work.
1. Gigi Brazilian Waxing Kit
It’s a bit pricey but you only have to pay for it once and they you just have to replace the hard wax once you run out of.
When it’s time to give yourself a Brazilian waxing at home, reaching all the places, might be a little complicated.
You can have someone help you.
After you get this awesome best waxing kit for hair removal,
The only further investment needed is getting the Gigi All-Purpose Honee or the Gigi Brazilian Hard Wax to place it in the warmer and start another journey towards smooth skin.
You can also get any other 14 oz hard wax that you might find to be better than the Gigi.
The kit contains:
- 1 wax warmer with cover (14 ounce),
- the Gigi Brazilian Hard Wax 14 oz,
- 1 pre-epilation oil that should reduce the pain a bit but don’t get your hopes too high, it’s still going to hurt,
- 1 post wax cooling gel, which is not for removing the wax residues so you still have to use some type of oil to remove them (baby oil or olive oil or coconut oil and so on) and then you can apply the gel but I also advise you to apply a moisturizer/body lotion to sooth the skin
- 10 small accu edge applicators,
- and 10 large accu edge applicators.
The lotions are not that important.
After they’re gone I don’t see the point of buying the same ones again because they’re pretty expensive.
You might want to get some extra strips and applicators.
You might also consider getting the Gigi clean collars for 14 oz if you want to prevent wax from dripping all over your warmer.
The hard wax has 14 ounces so all in all, if you consider how much this amazing kit contains.
The Gigi Brazilian kit turns out to be not only a great wax for hair removal but also a pretty decent-priced best at home waxing kit.
It’s simple, easy, and not entirely messy.
Where to Buy?
2. VidaSleek Extra Strength Hair Removal Waxing Kit
This is also the hard kind, natural, and it’s especially good at removing coarse hairs.
It goes without saying that if it’s good at removing coarse hairs then the thin ones should be a piece of cake for this kit.
A single pass should be enough and after that only some quick touch ups are needed for the perfect hairless skin.
The VidaSleek Extra Strength Waxing Kit is microwavable.
You don’t need a warmer.
In 1 or 2 minutes it’s ready for use.
If it hardens, pop it up in the microwave for another few seconds.
This best at home waxing kit from VidaSleek contains:
- Extra Strength Spa Wax Jar that has 10 ounces and you can heat it in the microwave or on the stove in a pan filled with water,
- 10 waxing strips. So you do need strips/cloth for pulling. 10 strips may not be enough so you should buy additional strips if you plan on getting this great wax kit for hair removal,
- 2 wooden spatulas for easily applying it on the skin in a thin layer. Since it’s powerful and it removes even stubborn hairs, you don’t need a thick layer for removing most of the hairs in a single pass,
- and finishing oil for soothing the skin. It helps a little with reducing the pain and the redness.
You also need baby oil or vegetable/olive oil for removing the residues.
It’s a pretty amazing product and it can be used for the entire body, including for facial hair removal.
If you have stubborn hairs on any area of your body, I would suggest getting the VidaSleek Extra Strength Waxing Kit.
Where to Buy?
3. Tress Wellness Waxing Kit My First Choice for the Best At Home Waxing Kit
It’s actually amazing!
Such a fantastic product can so easily be considered the best at home waxing kit.
It’s affordable and, most importantly, it’s easy to use.
The perfect kit for beginners with hard wax beads and a perfect wax warmer.
This hard wax kit contains:
- 5 bean bags – the beans are easy to use and they melt in a few minutes
- each bean bag weighs 3.5 oz so, you get 17.5 ounces of hard wax – that’s more than you get with any other kit for this price range
- the price is fantastic for what you get
- the tiny bean bags transform into hard wax that removes hairs from all over the body and face, whether they’re coarse or soft, after all hard wax is the first choice for a best at home waxing kit
- wax warmer with temperature control and digital display
- 20 waxing sticks for the body, wash them so you can reuse them
- 10 eyebrow waxing sticks that can be used for the whole face
- 1 pre and 1 post wax sprays
- 5 protective rings for the warmer
- once you’re done with the 5 bean bags that come with the kit, you can try other hard wax beans, too, just melt them in the warmer – Gigi has some good ones, too, there are also the ones from Cirepil that are amazing, however both are pretty pricey
- the hard wax beans from Tress Wellness are really affordable and they work great so, you can stick with them, too
There’s no need for strips/cloth to help you remove it.
It hardens and you pull it directly, without applying strips on top.
It can be used to remove unwanted hairs from any part of the body, including face.
And it works perfectly for sensitive skin.
If you plan on removing hair from most of your body, like face, legs, arms, underarms, and bikini area, you should consider this kit.
You get what you pay for and so much more.
It’s effective and that’s why it’s one of the best at home waxing kits.
Where to Buy?
4. Nair Brazilian Spa Clay Roll-On
It also heats up incredibly quickly.
You just pop it in the microwave and leave it in for 15 seconds up to 25 seconds.
You might wonder,
How come is not more popular?
It’s an expensive wax for hair removal.
It weighs 5.7 oz, which is not enough for removing hair from all over your body. So, you end up paying too much.
You would also need two passes for removing every single hair and more stubborn hairs like coarse ones may not be removed so easily.
If you’ve waxed for some time, then you probably have thin hair, which means that this roll-on may be perfect for you.
It can be good for women who haven’t used this hair removal method ever before, who have shaved or used hair removal creams before, just too see if this change might be exactly what they need.
Where to Buy?
5. Veet Ready-to-use Wax Strip Kit
If you decide to use cold strips then the Veet Leg and Body Hair Remover are some of the best.
I would still pick the hard wax and stick to using the Veet strip kit only for touch-ups.
The advantage is that there is no mess involved.
You warm the double sided strip between your hands for a few seconds, set them apart, apply a strip in the direction of the hair growth and pull in the opposite direction.
You might need two passes or more.
The first pass will most certainly leave some hairs behind.
The strips work best on legs, arms, and underarms.
I wouldn’t use them for removing hair from the bikini line and I definitely wouldn’t consider them when it comes to removing coarse hairs from the root.
Now that I’ve managed to come up with a short review for my personal favorite kits,
What’s your opinion?
Which one is the best wax for hair removal from these 5 at home waxing kits?
Where to Buy?
How to Pick the Best At Home Waxing Kit for You: Things to Consider
The first step is to pick the best wax for hair removal.
Getting a good kit is really important.
The most important aspect is that the wax should remove the hairs, not stick to your skin making everything really painful and messy.
A good kit doesn’t entirely mean that everything will go effortlessly.
Everything is not suddenly simple.
It helps a lot if you have been to a waxing salon before and you have watched a specialist handling the whole process.
You will know what the right temperature is, how to apply the strip and how to pull it. These are the three essential steps.
Another crucial aspect is the length of the hairs.
According to BARE, the ideal hair length is 1/4-inch (the length of a grain or rice) to 1/2-inch. It seems that for coarse hair the ideal length is closer to 1/2-inch for the first few waxes.
It roughly translates into the face that you can wax again in about 3 to 4 weeks.
They recommend the 4 weeks period but if you are as hairy as I am, I think 4 weeks would be an exaggeration. In the summer I would have to wear long pants for at least a week each month.
Besides having a very good waxing kit, having a successful waxing session implies:
- nailing the right temperature
- applying the wax in small strips
- letting it harden a bit while massaging it
- and pulling the strip in the opposite direction of hair growth with a swift movement without any hesitations whatsoever, that’s an essential thing to always remember and perform
Since there are quite a lot of things to understand and get right it’s best to go to a waxing salon for your first experience and see how a professional does everything.
In time, it should become easy.
Painful but you’ll get the hang of it.
Once you’ve done that, you can even do your own Brazilian.
Getting the perfect kit for you is crucial in your at-home waxing journey and that’s why I’m going to review 5 at home waxing kits.
You can have a starting point if you’re new to this hair removal method or to see what are your options if you want to change your old kit.
Best At Home Waxing Kits: Types of Wax
- hard wax, which can necessitate a warmer or can be microwavable – hard wax is the one that is let to harden on the skin and then quickly removed with the fingers
- soft wax, which requires muslin or non-woven strips to be removed
- and cold strips for both face and body
If you’ve waxed for some time, I’m sure you already have a favorite.
If you’re a beginner and you don’t know exactly what to choose, allow me to make a suggestion.
Go with hard wax when looking for the best at home waxing kits.
In my opinion,
Hard wax is the best, especially for those with sensitive skin.
No matter which area of your body you want silky smooth.
It’s the one that removes almost all the hairs from a single pass.
With a second strip, all the hairs should be gone.
I know that some say that it’s best not to apply a second strip because it might irritate the skin but I used to do it every time without harming my skin.
It’s very important to sooth and moisturize your skin after each hair removal, that’s all it is.
Why do I suggest roll-on wax and cold strips, besides those 3 amazing best at home waxing kits?
Because those are good too.
Especially for touch ups or for those who are just starting to experiment with waxing and are not entirely sure that this is the right hair removal method for them.
A Short How-To Wax Introduction
Waxing can be a bit difficult, especially in the beginning.
My opinion always has been that if it’s your first time waxing, you should first go to a beauty salon and let a professional show you exactly how it’s done.
Beauty salon waxing can be a bit expensive in the long run but once or twice it’s totally worth it.
After that, with your newfound knowledge, you can buy one of these best wax for hair removal kits and get down to work.
For the intimate area,
You can even go for more than a couple of sessions because it gets a while until you get used to the pain.
You need to be comfortable when removing hairs from the root from such a sensitive area.
There are just a few basic things that you need to remember when waxing:
You can exfoliate using:
- a body scrub, even a made-at-home one (those can be amazing, look for recipes on the Internet)
- or exfoliating gloves
- or exfoliation brushes for the body
- obviously, you need one of the best at home waxing kits, that removes both thick and thin hairs
- it’s easier to get a kit with a warmer than a microwaveable kit because the warmer keeps the wax hot throughout your session
The good news,
Even with the microwaveable ones, it takes a minute to heat the wax and after that you will only need a few seconds to get it melted hot again.
- in the long run, it’s cheaper to get a waxing kit with a warmer because after that you will only need to replace the hard wax, which is pretty affordable
After everything is set up and you have covered the floor with something so that you won’t mess it up with dripping wax, the next step if to make your body ready.
It’s good to exfoliate one day prior to your session.
On sensitive areas and on the underarms you should apply baby/talcum powder.
It absorbs the moisture so the wax can stick to the skin.
Apply the wax in smaller strips, in the direction in which the hairs are growing.
When it comes to the underarms there are all sorts of directions so it will be a bit confusing in the beginning.
Here comes the important part.
This is what matters:
Removing the strip with a swift move in the opposite direction in which the hairs are growing.
If you pull it quickly almost all the hairs should be removed from the first move.
You should watch something or listen to music because it’s a pretty lengthy process, it will take about an hour to do your legs.
- use oil, even olive oil if you want, to remove the wax residues
- clean the area after that, maybe even go as far as using a cleansing lotion
- and then apply a body lotion to sooth the skin
- according to Veet, avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes after because the pores stay open for a few hours and, by wearing loose-fitting clothes you ensure that the pores remain clean and bacteria-free
If you are removing your facial hair,
Apply an aloe vera gel and then your usual facial cream because the skin is really sensitive and you don’t want any breakouts.
You need to sooth the irritated skin, especially if you have suffered from breakouts in the past.
Another very important thing to consider when it comes to waxing facial hair:
According to Marta Grochowska, in an interview for Good Housekeeping, Accutane and many antibiotics can make the skin hypersensitive.
Those using retinoids or prescription acne medication would be better off with another hair removal method.
You could try the Tinkle razor, which is a special razor designed for women who want to consider shaving without risking any cuts or nicks or razor bumps.
Or get a laser hair removal consultation with a good professional if you have money and don’t know what to do with it.
That’s about it.
I hope I managed to help you pick out the best wax for hair removal kit.
Top Pick: Tress Wellness Waxing Kit
Where to Buy?
The Tress Wellness Waxing Kit is the perfect hard wax for thick stubborn hairs, like the ones from the bikini area and the underarms, but it also removes thin hairs and it has an unbeatable price for what it offers.
I would go even further and say that this is one of the best at home waxing kits for people with sensitive skin.